Saturday, March 23, 2013

View off Pier 91


ART - Spring Best of the Northwest 2013 is exactly as advertised.  As I indicated in my earlier blog the show runs both March 23 and 24, 2013 at Pier 91. Only one day left!!!  Don’t miss it if you can help it. Go to www.nwartalliance.com/bestnw/ for details.   By the way Pier 91, where the cruise ships dock in the summer, is a great venue for these types of shows in the winter!!!!  There are shuttle buses from the parking lot and the building is nice and warm. 

We saw some of the most beautiful, professional, “hand-made” items I've seen in one place in a long time.  What a great group of artists and a wonderful selection of art.  As we walked around it was hard to pick favorites, but we did pinpoint a few.  Over the next week on my blog I’m going to highlight some of these artists to give you a glimpse of what we saw.  I also hope I can help spread the word regarding these fine artists and their beautiful wares.

Where do I start…..OH so difficult!!



Let us start with a young artist from Hungary named Flora.  She is energetic and ready to answer any question you have about felting.  She recently moved from Hungary and now lives and works in her studio here in Seattle.


She teaches advanced wet felting skills workshops on Sunday in her art studio at 4316 SW Othello St., in Seattle from 10 am to 4 PM.  She will also be teaching a series of basic classes in West Seattle, Gatewood neighborhood this Spring 2013, every other Friday from 6 to 9 pm.  If you are interested you can contact her via the email provided below.


If you are not quite sure what felting is, it is a very old process using wool fibers, water and vigorous kneading of the materials. The control and mixture of the fibers, the kneading and the amount of time the process is repeated results in the type and durability of the material.  You can make felted lace or felt strong enough to be used on the sole of shoes.  It is material that has been around for centuries, but it is also a fading art.




She is a master at making her own felt material and then molding and shaping it into anything she wants.  Through out this article are a few examples of her products.


I think hand-made felting material is some of the most laborious work I've see.  I've tried small items by hand in the sink.  I can’t imagine doing eight foot sheets of felt at a time.   I’m sure with some instruction from Flora I might learn some tricks.

Flora says that her own creative process is one of constant experimentation, and the gratification of creating beautiful objects is enhanced when she feels that others can appreciate these magical qualities and processes.

Please take time to look at her website  www.floranemez.eu or drop her a note at carlile.kovacs@gmail.com  I’m sure she would love to hear from you.  Wouldn't you love to have one of her hats or a beautiful blanket made of felted wool?  She has just what you need.  

Thanks, Flora, for letting me visit with you.  I really enjoyed it.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Artfully Ann's Adventures