April 4, 2015
Great Article on Buying Art
One of the Facebook pages I watch had a great reference the other day to a guide to how to buy art. I thought I'd share it with you. The complete article can be found at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/distilled-perspective. The article is titled "Guide to Buying Art: 7 Things to Look for When Purchasing a Piece" by Stephen Tanenbaum.
I would highly suggest you read the whole article, but in a nutshell it suggests that when you choose art you look for the following things:
Cohesive Style; Originality; Content; Emotional Connection; Artist's Background; Balance Between Process and Product; and Quality.
The 10 Questions to Ask Yourself When Buying Art:
1. Do I have an emotional reaction to the piece?
2. Does the piece bring me into it, or am I looking at it?
3. Does the color palette stimulate my senses?
4. Does the composition guide my eye through the piece
5. Do I understand the piece? Is it conceptual and thought-provoking without being to complicated to understand?
6. Is there anything unique about in the creation process that sets the work apart?
7. Is the artist working in a cohesive style? (this indicates focus, repetition, and practice which leads to more refined work)
8. Is the artist building on a previous artist's work or an artistic movement?
9. Is the piece well constructed? Is it made of materials that will fade or technology that may go out of date?
10.. Do I continue to think about the work and its meaning far after purchasing the piece? Would I grow tired of it? Does the work have staying power?
As an artist these questions are good ones to ask yourself as you create the Art. If you hope to sell your pieces you want to be sure that the Buyer of the art can answer Yes to ALL of these questions. Maybe not everyone viewing your pieces will love what you do, but enough so that you can sell what you make and that allows you to make more.
I really thought these were very interesting and meaningful points. The article goes into even more detail.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!
By for NOW!!